Here is a guide on how to repent of your sins, with step-by-step advice for full repentance, which earns you the forgiveness of God through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. If you are struggling with sin or simply want a refresher course on repenting, this is the right place for you.
How to Repent: A Simple Definition of the Repentance Process
In a nutshell, here is how you repent of any sin, no matter how great or small:
1. You confess the sin.
2. You forsake the sin.
You could even reduce all the books on repentance in the world to a single statement on how to really repent:
In order to repent from sin, all you need to do is turn away from it and stay turned toward God.
There are many different ways to explain repentance, but at its core, repenting is simply turning around.
One of the misconceptions about repentance or myths about repentance is that you can’t repent, or that you can’t truly be forgiven by God for something you’ve done.
The fact of the matter is that you have the power to change your life, by virtue of the fact that you are a child of God. God can’t repent for you, but neither He nor anyone or anything else can stop you from repenting and obtaining forgiveness if you really want to be forgiven and move forward with a clean conscience, having your heart and mind scrubbed clean by the blood of Jesus Christ.
A man once taught his son that in the end, we are “consigned to partake of the fruits of [our] labors or [our] works” (Alma 40:26). In other words, we will always get what we deserve – and if we have repented of our sins, we will receive a true, complete forgiveness from our Father in heaven. Nothing can stop that.
Steps of Repentance: How to Repent and Be Forgiven of All Sins
We have established that:
- The two basic building blocks of repentance are confession and forsaking of the sin
- The one fundamental proof that a person has repented is that she has turned around to come unto God through Jesus Christ
With these concepts in mind, you can see that there is no perfect “5-step recipe” or “7-step primer” on repentance that trumps all others. However, if you follow the steps below, you can be assured that your repentance process is complete and that you do not need to feel sorry anymore.
1. Admit to yourself and to God that you have done wrong.
2. Confess your sin to God and yourself.
3. Confess your sin to anyone who needs to know about it.
4. Stop doing the sin.
5. Repair the damage you have caused by your sinning, to the extent possible.
6. Ask God to forgive you for doing the sin, when you feel confident that you have repented by confessing and forsaking it.
7. Never do the sin again. Spend the rest of your life working to make sure you will never turn back toward it.
In all of this, remember that Jesus Christ loves you, and that your Father in heaven loves you, and that repentance is a real, true thing – it actually works. In fact, it never fails, so long as you do it.