“[A]wake and arouse your faculties,
even to an experiment upon my words.”
– Alma 32:27
If you are grappling with deep doubts or burning questions about God, truth, or the Book of Mormon, I invite you to do the following experiment.
Search through the Book of Mormon for 30 minutes a day, and spent the rest of your time trying to live according to the principles and teachings found in it.
That means devoting about 2 percent of your life to an intense study of the book, and the other 98 percent to an intense effort to become the way the book teaches you to be.
Take a few minutes each day to write down whatever questions, answers, insights, feelings, ideas or experiences result from this quest.
Do this for one year.
Finally, compare your levels of happiness and inner peace and personal conviction of the truths of the universe to what you had before. Your written record will help you remember what you have learned, felt and experienced.
I promise you that you will be delighted with the results, and that you will know by its fruits that the Book of Mormon was put in your life by a loving God, to convince you that:
- Jesus is your Savior
- Joseph Smith was and is an actual prophet of God
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the organization you should join and support in preparation for the return of Christ to the earth and for your eternal happiness
My Own Book of Mormon Experiment
I have done this sort of experiment for myself, from about May to September 2000. In my case, the numbers involved were 60 minutes of Book of Mormon study a day, for about four months.
I felt mostly convinced going into the experiment that the book was actually what it claimed to be, but I wanted to make absolutely sure. For me, mostly convinced was not enough.
The result? I became absolutely sure. All doubt disappeared.
Since then, I have tried to help others taste the joy that I have tasted by testing the Book of Mormon to learn whether it is true.
How The Book of Mormon Experiment Works
“[F]aith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things;
therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen,
which are true.
[E]ven so it is with my words.
Ye cannot know of their surety at first, unto perfection,
any more than faith is a perfect knowledge.
But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties,
even to an experiment upon my words,
and exercise a particle of faith,
yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe,
let this desire work in you,
even until ye believe in a manner
that ye can give place for a portion of my words.
Now, we will compare the word unto a seed.
Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart,
behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed,
if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief,
that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord,
behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts;
and when you feel these swelling motions,
ye will begin to say within yourselves—
It must needs be that this is a good seed,
or that the word is good,
for it beginneth to enlarge my soul;
yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding,
yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me.”
– Alma 32:21, 26-28
The Undeniable, Indescribable Power of The Book of Mormon
Whenever I have made a serious effort to study the Book of Mormon and live by its teachings, I have been overwhelmed by the real power I feel flowing into my life:
- Power to do good
- Power to want to follow the footsteps of Christ
- Power to resist temptation to stray from the right path
- Power to know that the man Joseph Smith is really a prophet of God
- Power to know that God put His church back on the earth through Joseph Smith to continue what the Savior established during His mortal life
On the other hand, when I skirt around the Book of Mormon, or gloss over it, that power ebbs away.
It is more than some warm and fuzzy feeling that studying this book brings to me – it is like having a vial of pure light injected into my bloodstream, or a shield and armor placed on me. It uplifts the way I think, inspires the way I treat myself and others, and makes me a better, humbler, happier person.
If only more people would just crack open this book each day and try to understand it, try to apply the lessons and declarations in it to their personal lives, try to make it a part of who they are.
Try The Book of Mormon Experiment For Yourself
What about you? Have you ever done an experiment like this to test the Book of Mormon in your life?
If not, what do you think you might do to conduct your own Book of Mormon experiment?